The below is an example of how GST/PST taxes can be configured to successfully sync the multiple sales tax levels using Wise-Sync. Canada has a 5% goods and services tax (GST) that applies to most sales. Some provinces either charge an additional provincial sales tax (PST), or use a harmonized sales tax (HST) that includes the GST. As always, please check with your tax accountant to confirm rates and exemptions.
What do I do?
Step 1. Set Taxes Code in Wise-Sync
Here's how to do it:
1. Log into Wise-Sync and click on the "Companies" link at the top.
2. Click on the Company that you wish to edit from those listed.
3. Click on Tax Codes Tab
4. Tick Tax Level for Tax Code When Sold
5. SaveStep 2. ConnectWise Manage Tax Code Setup Table
There are three requirements to the Tax code setup in ConnectWise Manage to ensure that the correct tax rate is applied in the accounting package.
1. Ensure that the Tax Level 1 is set to the PST tax rate and the Tax Level 2 is set to the GST tax rate.
2. The Tax Code Cross Reference for the Tax Level 1 should match the combined tax code in the accounting package eg. GST/PST BC.
3. Add Tax Code Exemptions work roles or product types that are exempt from either PST or GST tax codes.
The following is an example of how to set BC Sales Tax:
Tax Level 1 - 7% GST/PST Tax Product Only
- The Tax Code Cross Reference is set to the combined tax code in the accounting package eg. GST/PST BC.
- Check Tax Products
- Set the Caption to the Tax level description to print on the invoice, eg PST
Tax Level 2 - 5% GST - Tax Product & Services
- The Tax Code Cross Reference is set to GST
- Check Tax Products and Tax Services
- Set the Caption to the Tax level description to print on the invoice, eg GST
Step 3: Setting Canadian tax exemptions
In the Tax Code Exemptions Tab you can set exemptions for your customers to prevent them from being charged specific taxes. Two common examples are exemptions for Hardware related Service - Exempt from GST and
Services that are remote / not hardware related - Exempt from GST/PST in some provinces.
The following is an example for Service products that are exempt from GST/PST:
The following is an example for Hardware related Service that are exempt from GST:
This setup ensures in the Accounting package the invoice shows the tax correctly on each line item.